17 August 2010
On Sunday Morning, after a wonderful breakfast with my Mum, I headed over to the English Gardens! There were rabbits, TONS of birds, bees and more! BUT the one bird I wanted to see and capture is the little hummingbird! These have got to be my favorite bird as they are so small, cute and FAST!
Learned a few things this day...
1) Bees store their pollen on their leg...who woulda thunk it! See the band of orange on the leg in the pics below!
2) My camera/lens is not as fast as the hummingbirds wings! What does this mean...a new camera/lens coming soon?!?!?!
3) Never watch a fellow photographers equipment for a few minutes....you never know what will happen!!! Yikes...around me apprantely it will happen! lol...everything was fine though, thank-goodness!
Here are my pics from Sunday in the English Gardens, hope you enjoy as much as I did taking them in the rain!
1) Here is one BIG bee! This bee was so big the flower was bending over, the picture does not do it justice! Check out the orange band on his leg, this the pollen!
3) This female mallard was hanging out in the pond with a few others...waiting for food! Too bad I didnt have any, maybe next time!
4) Hummingbird at rest
5) Relaxing in the rain!
6) More relaxin
10) I think this one is my fav....she got lazy trying to eat...so she perched on the branch! lol I have not seen them land while eating before!
11) Another at rest shot
13) Do you think she is enjoying her dinner...I think so!
11 August 2010
Last night I went out trying to find more Northern Lights or Lightning since we were supposed to have both...but with the cloud cover there were no Northern Lights and then with the Storms on either side of Winnipeg, there was no lightning.
So instead of wasting a trip for nothing I stayed out and did some light painting and long exposures.
Here are a few from last night
1) Played with the processing on this one to make it dramtic and colourful!
2) Using a flash light to create the rings, the shot reminded me of the Blair Witch Project, so I coloured it blood red!
3) Simple Black and White version
7 August 2010
Went out all three nights in an attempt to get some Northern Lights which were caused by the Solar Flare. 2 out of the 3 nights they showed up.
Tuesday night was the best night for the show! I headed out with a small group from the WPG Photo Community to Patricia Beach, which is about 45 mins North of Winnipeg. On the way there was a nice plume of the lights and got a few shots in before hitting the beach!
Wednesday, my sister in law and I headed out to Pinawa in hope of getting some cool shots, but there was lots of cloud cover and it actually rained on us! lol! It did clear up after 1230am, but there were no signs of Northern Lights! Did a few starscapes that managed to turn out OK.
So on Thursday another member of the WPG Photo Community and I headed out to Birds Hill Park to the little lake out there in hopes to get some reflections on the water! Just before we were about to pack up, they came out...not strong, but they came out for a visit!
It was been a long, but very exciting week! My shots from Tuesday night have appeared on all the local new stations, the Winnipeg Sun, both online and on page 2 of Wednesdays paper, Canada AM and CBC National Online. As of last night I think I have caught up on all the lost sleep! lol! What I wont do for a great picture!
Here are my shots from Thursday Night, hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
4 August 2010
Wow! The Northern Lights were amazing last night! I went out with a local photography group around 10pm and did not come back till after 2am. We went down 59 to Patricia Beach! Got some great shots and at one point they were so colourful and were dancing like mad that it reminded me of back home in Thompson! I think I definitely have to make more visits up there to get some great northern shots!
Here are my shots from last night...hope you enjoy!